Recipe of the day: Blackberry Apple Pie
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 pound(s) tart apples (about 6 apples)
- 2/3 cup(s) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) cornstarch
- 2 cup(s) fresh or frozen blackberries (not thawed)
- 1 Walnut Pastry Dough
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Combine lemon juice and vanilla in a large bowl. Peel, core and cut apples into 3/4-inch chunks, tossing them in the lemon juice mixture as you work.
- Mix 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch and toss with apples. Add blackberries.
- Place 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap on a work surface. Set the larger disk of dough in the center and cover with 2 more sheets of plastic wrap. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Remove top sheets and invert dough into prepared pan, letting excess dough hang over the edges. Gently press dough into bottom and sides of pan. Pull off plastic wrap. With a rubber spatula, scrape apple-blackberry filling into pie shell.
- Roll out smaller disk of dough as above, making an 11-inch circle. Remove top sheets of plastic and invert dough over filling. Pull off plastic wrap. Press together edges of pastry to seal. With the tip of a sharp knife, cut 3 or 4 short slashes to vent steam. Moisten a pastry brush with water and lightly brush top of pie. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Place pie on a baking sheet with sides.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling bubbles. Cool on a wire rack for about 1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.